STOP THE TORTURE!
Statewide Coordinated Actions every month respond to the Pelican Bay Hunger Strikers’ Proposals (November, 2013). They stated:
“We want to consider the idea of designating a certain date each month as Prisoner Rights Day. On that date each month prisoners across the state would engage in peaceful activities to call attention to prison conditions. At the same time our supporters would gather in locations throughout California to expose CDCR’s [CA Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation] actions and rally support efforts to secure our rights. We can see this action growing from month to month as more people inside and out become aware of it and join our struggle.”
The Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity Coalition (PHSS) has helped launch Statewide Coordinated Actions To End Solitary Confinement (SCATESC) which began in strength, Monday, March 23, 2015.
Actions will happen on the 24th of each month.
This date emphasizes the 24 hours a day that people are kept in solitary confinement.
Submit Your Event to the PHSS Facebook Page and on the Together to End Solitary site.
These coordinated actions will acknowledge the importance of organized, community-based pressure as a core strategy (along with courts and legislators) of our work outside the walls to end solitary confinement.
With the support of formerly incarcerated people, folks with incarcerated loved ones, students, lawyers, activists, faith communities and others, Statewide Coordinated Actions To End Solitary Confinement in California grew into the nationwide initiative Together to End Solitary that now links advocates coast to coast in the common goal of putting an end to solitary confinement.
CO-SPONSORS & ENDORSERS:
Statewide, nationally, and internationally, we invite all organizations and prominent individuals to:
- endorse the Statewide Coordinated Actions To End Solitary Confinement; or
- co-sponsor: help plan statewide, national, international, and local actions; do outreach, attend, and/or speak out.
Co-sponsors and Endorsers are listed HERE on the PHSS website and HERE at the facebook event page, Statewide Coordinated Actions to End Solitary Confinement (SCATESC)
Please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org if you will endorse or what you will do to co-sponsor, and describe action(s) in your locale.
If you want to be part of the Outreach Group organizing this effort, please email Verbena and Willow at email@example.com
LOCATIONS & TIMES:
Each locale participating in the Statewide Coordinated Actions will decide their locations and the time of day/night. We suggest places and times where and when there are plenty of people so that the actions are visible, and we can reach people with leaflets/information. If people-heavy locations also happen to be strategic for other reasons (e.g., a CDCR parole office in a busy area), all the better. Details about 24th Actions in your locale (i.e. L.A., Oakland, San Jose) will be posted as we receive the information from various locales
FLIERS & HANDOUTS:
There are handouts that can be used by everyone for these actions. PHSS can send out packets of these fliers and handbills by request at firstname.lastname@example.org. Local groups can hand out additional literature, as well.
These actions will help keep hidden torture in the public eye, build the movement to end solitary confinement, and serve as one way to update people as to the conditions inside and about the needs and goings-on in this human rights struggle. Organizations outside of CA and outside of the US are already joining and supporting this effort.
The courage that prisoners continue to demonstrate—after leading two hunger strikes in 2011 and a third, the largest hunger strike in history in 2013– while upholding their Agreement To End Hostilities across racial lines should give us all the strength to organize in our own communities.
- Abolitionist Law Center
- ACLU of Northern California
- American Friends Service Committee (AFSC)
- Anti-Racist Action-LA
- California Families Against Solitary Confinement (CFASC)
- California Prison Focus
- Coalition for Effective Public Safety (CEPS)
- Critical Resistance- Oakland
- Direct Action Monterey Network
- Dramastage Qumran
- Fight for Lifers West, Inc.
- Food Not Bombs
- Freedom Outreach Ministries
- Global Women’s Strike
- Human Rights Coalition Philly/Pittsburgh
- Human Rights Pen Pals
- Incarcerated Nation Corp.
- Justice for the Dallas 6 Support Campaign
- LA Laborfest
- Legal Services for Prisoners with Children (LSPC)
- National Lawyers Guild – SF Bay Area Chapter
- New York Campaign for Alternatives to Isolated Confinement (CAIC)
- Oakland Alliance (OA)
- Prison Activist Resource Center (PARC- Oakland)
- Payday Men’s Network
- Peoples’ Action for Rights and Community (PARC- Eureka)
- Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity Coalition (PHSS)
- Project: Pollinate
- Santa Cruz County Peace and Freedom Party
- Santa Cruz Resistance Against Militarization (SCRAM!)
- Sin Barras
- Student Alliance for Prison Reform (SAPR)
- Women and Trans Prisoner Defense Committee
- Women of Color/Global Women’s Strike
- Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom (Santa Cruz)
- Youth Justice Coalition
- ACLU – Pasadena/Foothills
- ACLU of Southern California
- American Friends Service Committee- LA
- Ramona Africa and The MOVE Organization
- Dr. Nancy Arvold, PhD, MFT, member Psychologists for Social Responsibility
- Bill of Rights Defense Committee (BORDC)
- Black and Pink – San Diego
- Cabrillo College Justice League
- Cafe Intifada
- Californians United for a Responsible Budget (CURB)
- California Peace and Freedom Party
- Center for Constitutional Rights
- Children’s Defense Fund of California
- Communities Organized for Relational Power in Action (COPA) Restorative Justice Institutions
- Critical Resistance –LA
- Darrell and Karen Darling
- Ella Baker Center for Human Rights
- FACTS Education Fund
- Fair Chance Project
- Family of Frank Alvarado Jr., killed by Salinas Police, July 10, 2014
- Freedom Archives
- Free Our Minds, Free Radio Santa Cruz
- Rabbi Borukh Goldberg
- Rabbi Philip Posner
- Interfaith Communities United for Justice and Peace
- Justice for Palestinians, San Jose
- LA No More Jails (No Mas Carceles)
- MLK Coalition of Greater LA
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)-Santa Cruz County
- National Religious Campaign Against Torture (NRCAT)
- Neighborhood Unitarian Universalist Church-Pasadena
- Dylcia Pagán, former Puerto Rican Political Prisoner held in US prison
- Leonard Peltier Support Group Silicon Valley
- Progressive Christians Uniting (PCU)
- Public Works Improvisational Theater
- Queer Strike
- Redwood Curtain CopWatch
- San Francisco Bay View National Black Newspaper
- Santa Cruz County Community Coalition to Overcome Racism (SCCCCOR)
- Sharon Kyle
- South Bay Committee Against Political Repression (SBCAPR)
- The WE Empowerment Center
- T’ruah: The Rabbinic Call for Human Rights
- United Against Police Terror – San Diego
- US PROStitutes Collective
- Donna Wallach
- Women’s Council, California Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers
Pingback: May 23rd Statewide Coordinated Actions To End Solitary Confinement- Locations & Details | Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity
Pingback: Important Upcoming AUGUST 2015 Events | Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity
Pingback: This Week in the Prison Industrial Complex (August 18) | Falling Into Incandescence
Pingback: Oct. 23rd Statewide Coordinated Actions To End Solitary Confinement: Locations & Details | Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity
Pingback: “Together to End Solitary” Unites Activists Nationwide | Solitary Watch
Pingback: “Together to End Solitary” Unites Activists Nationwide | MasterAdrian's Weblog
Pingback: ON THE 23RD DAY OF EACH MONTH BAND TOGETHER AGAINST 23 HOUR A DAY CONFINEMENT | Information for Friends and Family of Inmates
Pingback: San Francisco Bay View » ‘Together to End Solitary’ unites activists nationwide
Mother in desperate need to be heard my son is in the Shu at Kern state prison he is scheduled for transfer today 11/02/2016 for Pelican Bay please help need him to have someone in a support group to go see him! I want to join & help so we can stop this abuse of our lobed ones some one please contact me… ) :