The Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity Coalition stands in solidarity with the Florida Prison Strikers.
Stay informed and updated with links below. Please help amplify the striking prisoners’ voices.
These are the strikers’ demands (in their words):
1. Payment for our labor, rather than the current slave arrangement
2. Ending outrageous canteen prices
3. Reintroducing parole incentives to lifers and those with Buck Rogers dates
Along with these primary demands, we are also expressing our support for the following goals:
• Stop the overcrowding and acts of brutality committed by officers throughout FDOC which have resulted in the highest death rates in prison history.
• Expose the environmental conditions we face, like extreme temperatures, mold, contaminated water, and being placed next to toxic sites such as landfills, military bases and phosphate mines (including a proposed mine which would surround the Reception and Medical Center prison in Lake Butler).
• Honor the moratorium on state executions, as a court-ordered the state to do, without the legal loophole now being used to kill prisoners on death row.
• Restore voting rights as a basic human right to all, not a privilege, regardless of criminal convictions.
Florida Prisoners Are Laying It Down
with a work stoppage, an economic protest
Prisoners’ Statement: FL Prisoners Call for Operation PUSH to Improve the Lives of Incarcerated People and the Communities We Come From (with intro from Campaign to Fight Toxic Prisons) https://fighttoxicprisons.wordpress.com/2017/12/06/fl-prisoners-announce-operation-push-starting-jan-15-to-cripple-prison-system/
Great Audio Interview: Oakland IWOC speaking on Operation PUSH on KPFA with Cat Brooks Jan 23, 2018 https://soundcloud.com/oakland-iwoc/oakland-iwoc-speaking-on-operation-push-on-kpfa-upfront-with-cat-brooks
Jan 19, 2018 Update on Operation PUSH (originally posted on SPARC) https://fighttoxicprisons.wordpress.com/2018/01/20/updates-on-operation-push-in-the-florida-department-of-corrections/
Are Florida prisons suppressing an inmate strike or just lying about it?
Florida Officials Deny Operation PUSH Is Ongoing, Even As They Retaliate Against Prisoners https://shadowproof.com/2018/01/25/operation-push-update/
Please stay updated through these sites:
- Supporting Prisoners And Real Change (SPARC) https://www.facebook.com/SPARC-133851070619730/
- Fight Toxic Prisons (FTP)
https://www.facebook.com/FightToxicPrisons and https://tinyurl.com/ycxgf66w
- IWW Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee (IWOC) https://www.facebook.com/incarceratedworkers/ and https://incarceratedworkers.org/openaid-home
Recent Call to Action! Demand Florida DOC Stop Torturing Rashid Johnson
Kevin “Rashid” Johnson (#158039) wrote an article about the Florida prison strike, “Florida Prisoners Are Laying it Down” which was published online on January 9, 2018. The following day warden Barry Reddish retaliated against Rashid’s use of his First Amendment rights, ordering that he be given a disciplinary infraction for “inciting a riot”. Further, on January 19th Rashid was thrown in a cold cell, with a broken toilet, no heating, and with a window that will not fully close, allowing cold wind to blow into the cell. The cell has the same temperature as the outside, where temperatures have been repeatedly at or below freezing. Kevin “Rashid” Johnson was not allowed communication with his attorney or anyone on the outside for 6 days.
UPDATE: People made many calls to the warden in the prison where Rashid is being held.