To: Lindsay M. Hayes
40 Lantern Lane
Mansfield, MA 02048
cc: Matthew A. Lopes Jr.
Pannone Lopes Devereaux & West LLC
317 Iron Horse Way, Suite 301
Providence, RI 02908
Dear Mr. Hayes,
I urge you to recommend that the “security/welfare checks” be immediately halted in the Pelican Bay SHU and in Central CA Women’s Facility Condemned Units. The checks are causing serious sleep deprivation, and sleep deprivation is torture. Please hear the voices of the women and men affected by these torturous checks.
[Choose a few of the prisoners’ quotes to insert in the letter (please don’t send the whole list), and add any other comments you have. See examples of how to personalize the letter below]
cc: Matthew A. Lopes Jr
Examples of ways to personalize the letter:
- a formerly incarcerated person
- the mom, sister, brother, friend, etc., of a formerly incarcerated person
- a ___________ teacher, mother, professor, nurse, social worker, psychologist, etc.
- a member of [name your organization or community: ACLU, Brown Berets, Peace and Freedom Party, faith community, etc.]
- a person concerned with prisoners’ civil liberties, constitutional rights, human rights, etc.
I am particularly concerned because____________________________________
- I have been in solitary confinement and was awakened and deprived of sleep
- My loved one has been in solitary confinement and was awakened and deprived of sleep
- I have a sleep disorder and know how terrible it is to be sleep deprived
- My _______ has a sleep disorder and I know how terrible they feel when they are sleep deprived, etc.