Saturday, May 23 ACTIONS by location (alphabetical order)
If you don’t see your locale listed here, we haven’t received the details yet or YOU just might need to organize a simple action where you are!!
- Here are fliers and handbills to distribute.
- Check out our updated Universal Handbill for these actions!
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or click HERE to share your locale’s details and/or request printed materials be sent for your action.
May 23 Locations & Details (so far)
ARCATA / MANILA, CA:
We will be gathering at the Manila Community Center in solidarity with the other statewide coordinated actions that are happening on the 23rd of every month. Solitary confinement is rampantly used in California. We are a part of a prisoner-led movement including: family and loved ones of incarcerated people, students, lawyers, youth, teachers, doctors, activists, international and national organizations.
There are people of all ages and genders that are locked in solitary confinement, some for DECADES. With Pelican Bay, a notorious torture chamber, so close… come on May 23rd and help STOP THE TORTURE. You can help us pass out literature, get more involved in the struggle, show your solidarity, or just learn. We will have an educational demonstration while people are waiting for the Kinetic sculptures in Manila.
HERE‘s the Manila flier!
Manila Action Details
Time: 12:00pm – 3:00pm
Location: outside area of Manila Community Center, 1611 Peninsula Dr. Arcata (Manila), CA
For more info: call 707-442-7465
Contact Person: Verbena
Contact Email: email@example.com
LOS ANGELES, CA:
End Solitary Confinement for Youth in Detention
In juvenile facilities across California, children are held in solitary confinement for days, weeks, and months at a time. This unnecessarily harsh disciplinary practice harms young people and exposes them to a lifetime of psychological and developmental trauma.
At this event, we will present “If the SHU Fits-Voices from Solitary Confinement”, and follow with a session to: * Share Stories * Discuss Strategies to make meaningful change * Take Action!
Find out about SB 124 (Leno), which takes California in the right direction by placing limitations on the use of solitary confinement in juvenile justice facilities and encouraging them to explore more positive and developmentally appropriate methods for working with youth.
“If the SHU Fits” is produced by Dramastage Qumran, LA Laborfest, & Public Works Improvisational Theatre, and supported by the Bill of Rights Defense Committee (BORDC), National Religious Campaign Against Torture (NRCAT), and the Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity Coalition (PHSS).
HERE‘s the Los Angeles flier!
Los Angeles Action Details
Time: 3:00pm – 6:00pm
Location: Chuco’s Justice Center, 1137 E Redondo Blvd, Inglewood, CA
Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1590359064569376/
For more info: call 310-704-3217
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Endorsing organizations for LA action include American Friends Service Committee-LA, Anti-Racist Action-LA, Café Intifada, Children’s Defense Fund of California, Progressive Christians Uniting (PCU), The WE Empowerment Center, Youth Justice Coalition
“We want to consider the idea of designating a certain date each month as Prisoner Rights Day…our supporters would gather in locations throughout California to expose CDCR’s actions and rally support efforts to secure our rights.” PBSP SHU Short Corridor Collective Human Rights Movement, Nov. 2013
Informational Demonstration: PLEASE come talk and help share information to STOP THE TORTURE that is solitary confinement.
HERE‘s the Oakland flier!
Oakland Action Details
Time: 12:30pm – 2:30pm
Location: Mosswood Park, on Webster St. side, near grills
Contact Email: email@example.com
Pennsylvania (PA) groups support the Monthly CA Statewide Coordinated Action to End Solitary Confinement.
Join us in fasting for some or all of the May 23rd
in protest of the 23 hours of solitary confinement that tens of thousands of prisoners endure every day for months and years
and add your group to those committed to taking an action each month.
PA groups so far include Abolitionist Law Center; Global Women’s Strike; Human Rights Coalition Philly/Pittsburgh; Justice for the Dallas 6 Support Campaign; Payday men’s network; Women and Trans Prisoner Defense Committee; Fight for Lifers West, Inc.
Pennsylvania Action Details
Time: all day
For more info in PA, call 215-848-1120
Contact emails: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com.
POINT REYES, CA:
We will be tabling with information about solitary confinement and the prisoner-led human rights struggle to end solitary confinement – torture- and to promote the Agreement to End Hostilities.
Point Reyes Action Details
Time: 11:00am – 3:00pm
Location: Downtown Point Reyes Station
For more info: call 415 663-6760
Contact Person: Kim Pollak
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
SAN DIEGO, CA:
STOP THE TORTURE! As part of the Statewide Coordinated Actions To End Solitary Confinement, we will have a May 23rd informational demonstration including photos of men in SHU, along with some who used to be in SHU but are now in General Population. We will be talking and sharing information to STOP THE TORTURE of solitary confinement.
San Diego Action Details
Time: 12:00noon – 2:00 pm
Location: at Rosa Park (the park is next to library) in City Heights, San Diego
Contact Person: Martha Esquivel
Contact Email: email@example.com
SAN FRANCISCO, CA:
This date, May 23, emphasizes the 23 or more hours every day that people are kept in solitary confinement in 7 x 11 foot concrete cells. Organized, community-based pressure is a core strategy to end solitary confinement. Please participate or visit this informational demonstration. There will be many people lined up to visit Alcatraz. Come help pass out information.
San Francisco Action Details
Time: 8:30am – 2:00pm
Location: Pier 33 (Bay St. and The Embarcadero, where people line up to go to Alcatraz island)
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1579191362361202/
Contact Person Name: Kim Rohrbach
For more info: call 510.863.0477
SAN JOSE, CA:
We want to end solitary confinement NOW! It is torture! It is illegal! It is inhumane! We will be at the intersection distributing leaflets to pedestrians and car drivers.
San Jose Action Details
Time: 5:00pm – 6:00pm
Location: corner of Market St. and San Carlos St., south end of Cesar Chavez Park, San Jose, CA
For more info: call 408-569-6608
Contact Person Name: Donna Wallach
Contact Person Email: Palestineis@dslextreme.com
This month’s book packing party (where we pack up books to send to prisoners in CA prisons) is on May 23rd, in solidarity with anti-solitary confinement actions. We will also be writing letters in support of SB 124 (the bill to end solitary confinement for minors) and talking about how we can use our group’s resources to support this bill and otherwise end solitary confinement.
Santa Barbara Action Details
Location: Keith’s House, Santa Barbara (contact below for directions)
Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1582395948683606/
Contact Person Name: Anni Telfer
For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Come chant and hold banners, signs, and story boards to expose the torture; help give out literature: Agreement to End Hostilities, Statement to Streets & All Youth Lock-ups, Proposals for Action, Help Get Life-Sustaining Publications to Prisoners, etc. Speakers include Cynthia Fuentes of California Families Against Solitary Confinement, Keith McHenry of Food Not Bombs, Willow Katz of Global Women’s Strike and Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity (PHSS) Statewide Coordinated Actions To End Solitary Confinement, and more. Sign folks up to support people locked in solitary confinement and end torture in California. Food Not Bombs will serve free food and display a model Security Housing Unit (SHU) food tray.
Santa Cruz Action Details
Time: Gather 11:00am, Rally 11:30 am – 1:30 pm.
Location: near the Ideal Bar and Grill on Beach St., by the entrance to the Wharf, Santa Cruz
Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/792346444193822/?ref=1
For more info, contact email@example.com
- Abolitionist Law Center
- ACLU of Northern California
- American Friends Service Committee (AFSC)
- Anti-Racist Action-LA
- California Families Against Solitary Confinement (CFASC)
- California Prison Focus
- Critical Resistance- Oakland
- Direct Action Monterey Network
- Fight for Lifers West, Inc.
- Food Not Bombs
- Freedom Outreach Ministries
- Global Women’s Strike
- Human Rights Coalition Philly/Pittsburgh
- Human Rights Pen Pals
- Justice for the Dallas 6 Support Campaign
- LA Laborfest
- Legal Services for Prisoners with Children (LSPC)
- Oakland Alliance (OA)
- Prison Activist Resource Center (PARC- Oakland)
- Payday Men’s Network
- Peoples’ Action for Rights and Community (PARC- Eureka)
- Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity Coalition (PHSS)
- Project: Pollinate
- Santa Cruz Resistance Against Militarization (SCRAM!)
- Sin Barras
- Women and Trans Prisoner Defense Committee
- Women of Color/Global Women’s Strike
- Youth Justice Coalition
- Ramona Africa and The MOVE Organization
- Dr. Nancy Arvold, PhD, MFT, member Psychologists for Social Responsibility
- Black and Pink – San Diego
- Cabrillo College Justice League
- Cafe Intifada
- Californians United for a Responsible Budget (CURB)
- California Peace and Freedom Party
- Center for Constitutional Rights
- Communities Organized for Relational Power in Action (COPA) Restorative Justice Institutions
- Darrell and Karen Darling
- Ella Baker Center for Human Rights
- Family of Frank Alvarado Jr., killed by Salinas Police, July 10, 2014
- Freedom Archives
- Free Our Minds, Free Radio Santa Cruz
- Rabbi Borukh Goldberg
- Interfaith Communities United for Justice and Peace
- Justice for Palestinians, San Jose
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)-Santa Cruz County
- National Religious Campaign Against Torture (NRCAT)
- Dylcia Pagán, former Puerto Rican Political Prisoner held in US prison
- Leonard Peltier Support Group Silicon Valley
- Queer Strike
- Redwood Curtain CopWatch
- San Francisco Bay View National Black Newspaper
- Santa Cruz County Community Coalition to Overcome Racism (SCCCCOR)
- South Bay Committee Against Political Repression (SBCAPR)
- T’ruah: The Rabbinic Call for Human Rights
- United Against Police Terror – San Diego
- US PROStitutes Collective
- Donna Wallach
- Women’s Council, California Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers