APRIL 23 ACTIONS by location (alphabetical order)
If you don’t see your locale listed here, we haven’t received the details yet or YOU just might need to organize a simple action where you are!!
Here are fliers and handbills to distribute.
Check out our updated Universal Handbill for these actions!
Email email@example.com or click HERE to share your locale’s details and/or request printed materials be sent for your action.
Statewide Coordinated Actions To End Solitary Confinement (SCATESC) has a PHSS Facebook Event page.
SCATESC’s long list of Co-sponsors and Endorsers is below.
April 23 Locations & Details (so far)
So close to Pelican Bay State Prison- a solitary confinement torture facility- we participate in these Statewide Coordinated Actions. We will have an informational demo to educate about the human rights atrocity of solitary confinement and strengthen the prisoner-led movement to stop the torture. Actions will continue on the 23rd of each month, locations TBA, corresponding to the 23 or more hours a day people are kept in solitary confinement.
Arcata Action Details
Time: 1:00pm – 3:00pm
Location: the Quad at Humboldt State University
For more info: call 707-442-7465
Contact Person: Verbena
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
LOS ANGELES, CA:
Actions on the 23rd of every month in response to a call from the prisoners who went on hunger strike against isolation-torture for regularly scheduled building actions and organizing against long-term indefinite solitary confinement in the SHUs.
Los Angeles Action Details
Time: 12:00pm – 1:00pm
Location: Reagan State Bldg, 3rd & Spring Sts., L.A.
Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1394087940914592/
For more info: call 323-636-7388
Contact Person: Michael Novick
Contact Email: <email@example.com>
OAKLAND, CA– TWO events!! Daytime and Nighttime
Actions on this date, April 23rd, emphasize the 23 or more hours every day that people are kept in solitary confinement. “We want to consider the idea of designating a certain date each month as Prisoner Rights Day…our supporters would gather in locations throughout California to expose CDCR’s actions and rally support efforts to secure our rights.” PBSP SHU Short Corridor Collective Human Rights Movement, Nov. 2013
Oakland Daytime Details
Informational Demonstration: PLEASE come help share information and hold a huge banner. There will be thousands of passers-by that day at Laney College!
Time: 11:30am – 1:30pm
Location: parking lot side of Laney College, 8th Street, near the freeway
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oakland Nighttime Details
Solidarity w/ The Prisoner Hunger Strikers Study Session:
Every week The Bay Area Solidarity Committee for Jalil Muntaqim hosts a Political Education Class “New Afrikan Prisoner Writings Study Sessions” from 5:30-7:30PM. We will dedicate the April 23rd session in solidarity with the prisoner hunger strikers. We will be reading and discussing “the five core demands” as well as the “Agreement to End Hostilities“. We will also be dissecting different writings by Abdul Olugbala Shakur, Chairman & founder of George Jackson University. The event, hosted by The Bay Area Solidarity Committee For Jalil Muntaqim and George Jackson University, will end in an open mic and political hip hop Show.
Time: Political Education 5:30pm – 7:30pm,
Show/Open Mic 8:00 – 10:00pm
Location: “Qilombo” 2313 San Pablo Ave Oakland, CA
Group Website: https://www.facebook.com/committee.jalil
Contact Person: Shango Abiola
Contact Email: email@example.com
POINT REYES, CA:
We will be tabling with information about solitary confinement and the prisoner-led human rights struggle to end solitary confinement – torture- and to promote the Agreement to End Hostilities.
Point Reyes Action Details
Time: 11:00am – 3:00pm
Location: Downtown Point Reyes Station
For more info: call 415 663-6760
Contact Person: Kim Pollak
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
SAN DIEGO, CA:
STOP THE TORTURE! As part of the Statewide Coordinated Actions To End Solitary Confinement, we will have an April 23rd informational demonstration including photos of men in SHU, along with some who used to be in SHU but are now in General Population. Also on April 25th, we will be at Chicano Park Day from 10:00am- 5:00pm, talking and sharing information to STOP THE TORTURE of solitary confinement.
San Diego Actions are sponsored by California Families Against Solitary Confinement (CFASC) and endorsed by United Against Police Terror San Diego and Black and Pink San Diego.
HERE‘s the San Diego flier!
San Diego Action April 23rd Details
Location: at Rosa Park (the park is next to library) in City Heights, San Diego
Contact Person: Martha Esquivel
Contact Email: email@example.com
San Diego April 25 @ Chicano Park Day, 10:00am – 5:00pm. HERE‘s the Chicano Park Day flier!
SAN FRANCISCO, CA:
Organized, community-based pressure is a core strategy to end solitary confinement. This date emphasizes the 23 or more hours every day that people are kept in solitary confinement in 7 x 11 foot concrete cells. Please participate or visit this informational demonstration.
San Francisco Action Details
Time: 4:00pm – 5:30pm
Location: United Nations Plaza Civic Center
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1579191362361202/
Contact Person Name: Kim Rohrbach
Contact Person Email: 510.863.0477
SAN JOSE, CA:
We want to end solitary confinement NOW! It is torture! It is illegal! It is inhumane! We will be at the intersection distributing leaflets to pedestrians and car drivers.
San Jose Action Details
Time: 5:00pm – 6:00pm
Location: corner of Market and San Carlos Street, south end of Cesar Chavez Park, downtown San Jose
For more info: call Donna (h) 408-557-8824 (cell) 408-569-6608
Contact Person Name: Donna Wallach
Contact Person Email: Palestineis@dslextreme.com
SANTA CRUZ, CA:
Gather at Lighthouse Lawn. There will be interactive art activities, speakers & an altar in the making (please bring offerings you’d like to share). Children encouraged to participate. Rally followed by Candlelight Vigil
Santa Cruz Action Details
Time: 5:30pm- Gather, bring offerings for the altar, free literature, free food provided by Food Not Bombs
Sunset- Candlelight Vigil
Location: Lighthouse Lawn, West Cliff Drive, Santa Cruz
Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1374467132881318/
For more info: call 916- 316-0625
Contact Person: Courtney Hanson
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Abolitionist Law Center
- ACLU of Northern California
- Anti-Racist Action-LA
- California Families Against Solitary Confinement (CFASC)
- California Prison Focus
- Critical Resistance- Oakland
- Direct Action Monterey Network
- Food Not Bombs
- Global Women’s Strike
- Human Rights Coalition Philly/Pittsburgh
- Human Rights Pen Pals
- Justice for the Dallas 6 Support Campaign
- LA Laborfest
- Legal Services for Prisoners with Children (LSPC)
- Oakland Alliance (OA)
- Prison Activist Resource Center (PARC- Oakland)
- Payday Men’s Network
- Peoples’ Action for Rights and Community (PARC- Eureka)
- Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity Coalition (PHSS)
- Project: Pollinate
- Santa Cruz Resistance Against Militarization (SCRAM!)
- Sin Barras
- Women and Trans Prisoner Defense Committee
- Women of Color/Global Women’s Strike
- Ramona Africa and The MOVE Organization
- American Friends Service Committee (AFSC)
- Dr. Nancy Arvold, PhD, MFT, member Psychologists for Social Responsibility
- Black and Pink – San Diego
- Cabrillo College Justice League
- Cafe Intifada
- Californians United for a Responsible Budget (CURB)
- California Peace and Freedom Party
- Center for Constitutional Rights
- Communities Organized for Relational Power in Action (COPA) Restorative Justice Institutions
- Darrell and Karen Darling
- Ella Baker Center for Human Rights
- Family of Frank Alvarado Jr., killed by Salinas Police, July 10, 2014
- Freedom Archives
- Free Our Minds, Free Radio Santa Cruz
- Rabbi Borukh Goldberg
- Interfaith Communities United for Justice and Peace
- Justice for Palestinians, San Jose
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)-Santa Cruz County
- National Religious Campaign Against Torture (NRCAT)
- Dylcia Pagán, former Puerto Rican Political Prisoner held in US prison
- Leonard Peltier Support Group Silicon Valley
- Queer Strike
- Redwood Curtain CopWatch
- San Francisco Bay View National Black Newspaper
- Santa Cruz County Community Coalition to Overcome Racism (SCCCCOR)
- South Bay Committee Against Political Repression (SBCAPR)
- T’ruah: The Rabbinic Call for Human Rights
- United Against Police Terror – San Diego
- US PROStitutes Collective
- Donna Wallach
- Women’s Council, California Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers
Pingback: 23rd of Each Month: Statewide Coordinated Actions To End Solitary Confinement | Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity