*Free* and open to the public.
Bay Area students and community groups welcome!
The 2015 Human Rights Lecture Event features a full day of panels, workshops, and activities with organizers from Chicago, Ferguson, and the Greater Bay Area. Dr. Angela Davis will deliver a Keynote Speech on “Inequality and the Role of Resistance.” (Link to RSVP for free tickets).
The day’s events begin at noon, where students and community members can learn from and engage with activists at the forefront of contemporary movements challenging police violence, mass incarceration, and social inequality. Activities include:
• SOLITARY CELL ART INSTALLATIONS (12:00pm-5:00pm STUDENT UNION RAISED PATIO) from the Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity Coalition
• LUNCH PANEL (12:00pm-1:00pm, MLK 225) with community organizers from Ferguson, Chicago, #BlackLivesMatter, and the greater Bay Area
• WORKSHOP (12:30-2:30, STUDENT UNION RAISED PATIO) by the HipHop Chess Federation
• KNOW YOUR RIGHTS PRESENTATION (1:30pm-2:30pm, MLK 225) by WeCopWatch
• TALKING CIRCLE (3:30pm-5:00pm, MLK 225) where students can engage with local and national organizers to build on current movements to end mass incarceration and police violence.
• KEYNOTE SPEECH: DR. ANGELA DAVIS, “Inequality and the Role of Resistance,” 7:00 pm, Morris Dailey Auditorium (doors open at 6:30, pre-program African cultural performance by Jaliya at 6:45).
All events are free and open to the public.
RSVP to reserve your *free* tickets for the keynote here: humanrightssjsu.eventbrite.com
Spread the word! Share the tiny URL of poster for Twitter, Facebook, etc.: http://tinyurl.com/poxqy37
Please check out the official press release and event poster, and share with your networks widely. This will be a rare opportunity for students and community groups to directly engage in one of the most powerful and important social movements of our time, with key organizers all in one place for one day.
Feel free to contact Bill Armaline at <firstname.lastname@example.org> and Edith Kinney <email@example.com> for more information.