We hope to post updates every week or few weeks about the struggle to END long term solitary confinement. If you have any feedback for how we can improve these updates, or information you’d like to see, please let us know.
IN THIS UPDATE:
Recent News Articles
Weekly Meetings: The Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity Coalition meets every Monday night in Oakland (and on the phone).
- The sole purpose of the Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity Coalition is to amplify the voices of California prisoners as they strive to achieve their Five Core Demands. The Coalition consists of family members, formerly incarcerated people, lawyers, organizations, and individuals who stand in solidarity with the hunger strikers. This weekly meeting focuses primarily on planning, promoting and reporting on actions and events directly related to the struggle for the Five Demands (primarily, to end long term solitary confinement), including prisoner updates and legal and media strategies and reports.
Recent Newsletters, News Articles & Videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pz3syET3DY “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver” 7/20/14 – This 20 minute segment covers solitary confinement and mass incarceration in general in the United States. Great video to share with your friends & family who aren’t paying attention to the prison crisis.
JULY 8TH EVENTS took place nationwide to honor the start of last summer’s prisoner hunger strike, the largest in U.S. history:
Thanks to everyone who submitted a public comment about CDCr’s proposed censorship rules. Here is some news coverage:
- Prison censorship: cruel, but not unusual (Freedom Socialist Party)
- State Prisons to Institute New Censorship Rules 6/17/14 (East Bay Express)
- The California Prison System Is Cracking Down On “OBSCENE” Political Publications 6/18/14 (Vice Magazine)
- Are We Approaching the End of Solitary Confinement? 6/23/14 (Pacific Standard)
August 2014 Issue of ROCK!
Go to our CALENDAR to post or find upcoming prisoner solidarity and movement building events throughout California or any location.
“SAVE THE DATE” September 6, 2014 for an event in Oakland to commemorate the end of last summer’s prisoner hunger strike, the largest in U.S. history. We will have more information soon.
Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity Coalition (PHSS)