The first anniversary of the historic CA hunger strike is fast approaching, and Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity (PHSS) needs your support! To commemorate the strike, PHSS will be organizing and participating in a number of events as part of a Month of Education to commemorate the anniversary of the strike.
Here are 5 ways you can support PHSS in making it happen:
- If you’re in the Bay Area and like to build things, come to San Leandro and help us build a replica of the SHU (Security Housing Unit) that PHSS will use during outreach actions in July! Contact Nesbit (malcru[at]sbcglobal.net) if you’re able to help during the weekend of June 23rd-24th and June 30th-July1st.
- Help PHSS continue legal visits! The PHSS legal team has steadily organized legal visits to Pelican Bay throughout this whole year. Individual lawyers have been paying the cost of this exhausting trip up to Crescent City out of their own pockets. Make a donation to help make sure PHSS can sustain legal visits to hunger strike representatives at Pelican Bay! Go to the CA Prison Focus’ donation site (here), and write “PHSS” in the memo/note. Send checks to CA Prison Focus/1904 Franklin St, Suite 507, Oakland CA 94612 (with “PHSS” in the memo).
- Organize an Educational Event in Support of the Hunger Strike in your city/town! For support with talking points and program ideas, contact PHSS at prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity[at]gmail.com
- Support prisoners make grassroots media reflecting on the hunger strike! Do you write to people who are locked up and participated in the strike? Support them in making some grassroots media to commemorate the anniversary by sending them this info in a letter before July 1st.
- Become a penpal! PHSS is starting a penpal network for hunger strike supporters to write with CA prisoners. If you’re interested in joining, contact us at prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity[at]gmail.com